What engagement skills are required to effectively connect with the range of attentions spans for youthful cricketers today? The explosion of participation and shift in ethnic backgrounds has made our game stronger for those with a passion to play. How a captain is able to nurture and encourage in a competitive environment calls upon a broader range of leadership skills for younger players in senior competition.
The old school “do as I do” instructions blurred by the accessibility to streaming and YouTube official and fan clips. A recent conversation with a long term captain of lower grade teams with experience from over a decade provides the following when given the responsibility of leading youth.
- Let them play, back them in. Allow the talent enough rope to succeed or fail.
- Instill competitiveness from history and experience. Draw a thread between now and who has been before us with the club against the opposition.
- Treat them like adults. Hold them accountable for their actions. Be the same with older players in the team. Show no favoritism.
- Enjoy each others success.
- Attitude and plan to win from any position. The more difficult position, find a way to get through. An early batting collapse as 5/69 is able to become 6/301.
- A passion for learning is contagious, it has been around for centuries.
- Be prepared to step back and listen to the conversation unfold.
Undoubtedly there is plenty more. Thanks @jhuddart79 for your wisdom. Look forward to our next chat.